There are five classes of vehicles in the game; Civilian, Emergency (or Civil Service), Military Vehicles, flying vehicles, and Makeshift Vehicles (crafted). Each class has its own specialties; i.e. Military vehicles are generally stronger, while Emergency vehicles have sirens.
Most Unturned vehicles also have headlights which can be turned on by pressing the right mouse button (by default). Leaving the headlights on for too long when the vehicle isn't running will drain the battery. Vehicles with a dead battery will not start.
All vehicles require fuel in order for the player to operate them. New, unused vehicles start with 0-20% fuel; players either use the fuel to travel a small distance, or they can use gas cans to maintain the chosen vehicle until they find a much better one. Vehicles with higher fuel capacities are more durable when traveling.
Each type of vehicle has different fuel capacities. For example, Dune Buggies have a maximum capacity of 40 fuel units (the lowest), while APCs and Urals have a maximum capacity of 250 fuel units (the highest). You can determine the maximum fuel capacity of a vehicle by noting how many gas cans are required to completely fuel the vehicle. One full gas can holds 25 fuel units.
On creation, vehicles have a 5% chance to be at max fuel, a 25% chance to be empty, and a 70% chance to have a fuel level from max/20 to min/5, which is randomly determined.
As of 18.104.22.168, all vehicles spawned by the vehicle command will have 100% fuel and health.
Vehicles have different top speeds. To accelerate to the vehicle's top speed, players are required to hold down the "W" key (or whatever key is bound as the "forward key"). Once the vehicle has reached its top speed, it will stop accelerating and move at a constant velocity unless the car is turning or the acceleration key is no longer being held down. It is important to note that faster velocities equate to losses in handling. The highest top speed is 108 mph, achieved by the racecars at Kent Raceway.
Damage and Repairing
Vehicles lose durability if some tasks are performed, much like items. These tasks include hitting zombies, players, (and vise-versa) barricades, or objects. Damage can be physically observed when a vehicle starts smoking. At 50% durability, the vehicle's engine will emit a light, gray smoke. If the player continues to damage the vehicle, it will then emit a darker, thick smoke. Eventually, if the vehicle is damaged enough, it will catch on fire, and eventually explode. The player may get caught in the explosion if they do not exit the vehicle fast enough. When a vehicle explodes, it will spawn Metal Scrap around it.
Repairing vehicles requires a Blowtorch. The player must hold the blowtorch over a vehicle until the hitmarker disappears. If the hitmarker does not appear, it means that the vehicle is at full health.
Additionally, vehicles deal damage to any damageable objects that they hit; the damage dealt depends on the speed that the vehicle was traveling. This provides a relatively easy way for players to kill large hordes of zombies, animals, or even well-equipped players if the vehicle is traveling fast enough. It also allows players to fell trees without an axe.
All vehicles spawn containing a battery. This must be above 0% for the vehicle to start. Running the engine will charge the battery, while leaving the headlights or siren on without the engine running will drain it. Dead batteries must be replaced.
Non-tracked vehicles feature tires. If the vehicle runs over caltrops or the tires are destroyed using weapons, the vehicle's handling will be affected. Replacement tires may be found at gas stations.
In the latest version of Unturned 3.0, it is possible to build on top of and inside vehicles the same way you can build on the ground; that is, you can put Barbed Wire, Sandbags, Crates, etc. on or in your vehicle. Be aware, though, that doing so will alter the handling characteristics of the vehicle; stacking too many objects on the roof can make it very unstable, and adding lots of weight will make it accelerate and turn more slowly. Also note that other players can't stand atop moving vehicles, making roof-shooting impractical.
Vehicle Spawn Probability
The Vehicle Spawn Probability of any single vehicle in the game is the chance that it will spawn after destroying a previous vehicle and restarting the server. It is often measured in percentage but can also be expressed as a fraction. These percentages only apply to PEI.
Vehicle Information Tables
|Name||Speed (km/h)||Seats||Gas Capacity (units)||Spawn Probability At Civilian Spawn Points|
|Sport Dune Buggy||69||2||85||?|
|Name||Speed (km/h)||Seats||Gas Capacity (Units)||Spawn Probability*|
|Armored Police Truck||62||6||220||N/A|
*Each of the emergency vehicles have their own dedicated spawn points and thus do not have an applicable spawn probability.
|Name||Speed (km/h)||Seats||Gas Capacity (Units)||Spawn Probability At Military Spawn Points|
All items (97)