In Online Server, Hunting Animal is not a good source of steady food in game because of these two reasons.
- Hunting animals require ammunition, killing them takes 2 – 3 shots at the head and they tend to move a lot when they got shot at. In online survival server, ammunition is limited and difficult to come by when there are survivor and hostile players looking for them.
- Animal spawn point is always guarded by Survivor Group Base. Some player groups tend to build their base near or on animal spawn point, this is because of the food and flat open area. When the base inhabitants saw you hunting animal or heard your gunshots they wouldn’t think twice to shoot down and loot your corpse.
However, in Single player or RP server hunting animal is not half bad and some NPC quest needs ingredients from animal.
Tips and Tricks
In hunting animals, the good weapon of choice are the following.
- Rifle – These Makeshift Rifle only use Civilian Ammo which is very easy to find or you can craft its ammo case with 6 Metal Scrap. Its Magazine holds up to 5 rounds, slightly higher recoil than Hawkhound. Range varies with the type of rifle. 225m for Pine, 200m for Maple, and 175m for Birch. Makeshift Rifle degrade faster than most weapon but can cause bleeding damage which can help in hunting and can take down animals with two shots at 100% durability.
- Hawkhound – Same with Makeshift Rifle, it also use Civilian Ammo but its ammo can’t be crafted unlike the Makeshift Rifle, it holds up to 8 rounds in every magazine and has a low recoil making consecutive shots easy to aim than Makeshift Rifle, It has a good range up to 200 meters and very accurate which is good in taking out animal in long range.
- Bows and Crossbows – Ammo can be crafted with nails and sticks, can inflict high damage but needs to reload every shots and its ammo takes up a lot of space, very silent and has a good range up to 200m and its ammo can be retrieve.
- Car – it only needs Gas, Battery, Tires, and a Driver. They can be found throughout the map with the Gas, Battery, and Tiers on (Divers not Included). Accuracy depends on its diver, “can” one hit road kill any animals. The only problem is gas.
Tricks in Hunting
Find an area which animal spawn very often.
- In Washington the most common area is the golf course
- In PEI the Airport area and the plains near the Broken Bridge.
- In Russia the road from Petersburg to the military base.
- In Hawaii near the Unyielding base, the road going to the nearest town.
(Sorry for the unspecified location. If you have any idea about the location please share them. Thank You.)
Now if you find your hunting spot place wood spike on random place around or near the area. Remember “Do not Flood” the area with spikes because the animal spawn will be lessen.
The trick here, when you shoot an animal there will be a chance that they will run into the traps you have set.
Aside from hunting them you could farm them by walling off the spawn area of the animals you want to farm, and setting up traps along the wall or fence of the coral. In this way they won’t run off to far from your sight.
Add or edit, help share the knowledge to other players. – Ben2513