Unturned is a free sandbox game in an emerging singleplayer and multiplayer apocalypse survival genre. Unlike some survival genre games which are focused on a multiplayer style, Unturned provides players with easy systems to survive the zombie infestation in many various ways, either on their own or with their friends. Over the course of a typical adventure, players and groups will have a blast fortifying locations, scavenging for supplies, trying to live off the land, and interacting with other players. The game is being developed entirely with the community in focus, and has many features which are based entirely on feedback.
Players can build massive forts out of structural building blocks, or build onto smaller buildings in the world with barricades. More options for building are constantly being added. Buildings can be destroyed by various different tools. There are 2 types of buildings: structures and barricades. Structures can be placed on floors supported with pillars and most of the time this is the only way to place one. Barricades are more often freeform buildings that can be placed anywhere that is not obstructed.
Players can choose to become a hero by helping other players and softening the bandit population. Heroes are very rare due to having rewards that do not even compare to being bandits and the fact that it's very risky.
There are currently four available maps to play: the PEI map, which is a map useful for starting players; the Washington map, for a change in scenery; the Yukon map, for more experienced players who want a challenge against the environment; and the Russia map. Hawaii is the first curated map added. The player also has the option to create their own maps using the Editor. Unturned is currently in development so there are likely more maps to come in the future.
Players also have the option to play an Arena gamemode. It's a deathmatch where multiple players spawn in random locations around the map and have to fight until only one player is left. Currently four maps are available for this mode: Alpha Valley, a small town; Monolith, a forest with an island in the center; PEI Arena; and Washington Arena.
- OS: Windows 7 32-bit
- Processor: 2 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Storage: 1 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: 3 GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 4 GB available space
- Nelson Sexton, the creator of Unturned, originally created a game on ROBLOX called "Deadzone" before it was abandoned so that he could work on Unturned. (smartlydressedgames.com was originally advertised on his ROBLOX Character Biography)
- The game was commonly stereotyped as a "Minecraft + DayZ" game by many people since its release due to the style and several other features.
- Since the development of a newer version of the game (aka 3.0) it is becoming less of it. Despite this, it is still stereotyped.