Zombies are hostile entities found in almost all known locations in all of the Unturned maps. Zombies are drawn to motion and sound. This can be observed when players or thrown objects (Grenades, Flares or Smokes) are in their range of vision, or after shooting, without any zombies actually seeing you. Zombies will only attack placeables and vehicles if they cannot find a way around it. An exception is when it is a Full Moon.
Types of Zombies
Zombies have different types of clothing, sizes and movement styles.
- Zombies, the standard zombies, with different movement styles as seen below
- Mega Zombies, a rarer and much larger variant of the Zombie with darker skin and really high health and damage.
- Zombie Bosses, larger zombies with unique abilities spawning only in specific locations on the Russia map as part of specific quests.
By clothing grades
- Civil Servant Zombies, a type of zombie that spawn near civil service buildings.
- Military Zombies, a type of zombie found in military locations.
- Civilian Zombies, a type of zombie found in civilian locations.
- Military Mega Zombies, a type of mega zombie that spawns in military locations.
- Hazmat Mega Zombies, a type of mega zombie that spawns in Scorpion-7 and in Off Limits in Yukon.
- Spec Ops Mega Zombies, a type of mega zombie that only spawns at Silo 22 and at a Horde Beacon.
- Flanker: Added in 126.96.36.199 update. These zombies will try to attack the player from behind or from either side. They also cloak and are only visible due to their purple aura. They decloak briefly to attack and then recloak.
- Burner: Added in 188.8.131.52 update. These zombies act like normal zombies, but if they are killed they explode causing nearby Player's to bleed, and turning nearby normal zombies into Burner zombies. They have increased attack strength compared to normal zombies.
- Acid spitter: Added in 184.108.40.206 update. These zombies, when alerted, will try to spit neon-blue acid at the player which will start to reduce your health. Their attack can be stopped by hitting them during the animation and on contact with the world will leave an acid pool that damages players who step on it.
- Radioactive: Added in 220.127.116.11 update. These zombies act like normal zombies, but if they are killed they explode. They should be killed by ranged weapons in order to avoid the explosion. They are located only near Deadzones.
Normal Zombies by movement style
- Normal: Normal zombies simply walk towards the player. Their resistances vary on the zombie's clothing. Normal zombies on official maps do 15 points of damage and have one hundred points of health.
- Sprinter: Sprinters stand on all fours, when attracted they charge at the player. A player must run to avoid being attacked by a sprinter. Sprinters do reduced damage and have reduced health, with one power hit or even a normal hit from a strong melee weapon being enough to kill them.
- Crawler: Crawlers were first in Unturned Classic and returned later in 3.0. Crawlers are slower than normal zombies and sprinters, but they can both deal and take more damage than their counterparts before dying, with some even taking up to 2 head shots with most firearms. Also, similar to any zombie during a Full Moon, crawlers inflict Bleeding directly, in addition to normal damage.
Zombies will have a chance of dropping a random item based on what kind of zombie it is. For example medical zombies may drop medical items, police zombies have a chance of dropping civilian ammunition and police clothing, ranger zombies can drop ranger grade items, and military zombies can drop military grade items. Mega zombies will drop a high amount of uncommon or rare loot upon death, like military firearms, ammunition, and grenades.
- Zombies have a specific area they can navigate, and when they attempt to exit the area, they will stop and turn around.
- With a Permanent Gold Upgrade account, the player can resemble a zombie by selecting the Zombie face in the customization options and then changing their skin color.
- The Player can stand on top of zombies, allowing them to walk about on top of a horde. Zombies can still attack players above them, even if the player seems to be out of reach.